Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Loving this

Not a long post today, but I wanted to give some props to Switchfoot for their new CD.  I've only been listening to it for a couple of days, but it seems that every time I turn on the recording, I find another new favorite song!  This morning I was listening to the opening track, "Afterlife" and it challenged me in a couple of ways.  Check out these lyrics:

"Afterlife" - Switchfoot
I’ve tasted fire I’m ready to come alive
I can’t just shut it up and fake that I’m alright
I’m ready now
I’m not waiting for the afterlife
Let it burn the way the sunlight burns my skin
The way I feel inside, the way the day begins
I’m ready now
I’m not waiting for the other side cause…

- Chorus –

Everyday
The world is made
A chance to change
But I feel the same
And I wonder why
would I wait till I die
to come alive?
I’m ready now
I’m not waiting for the afterlife
I still believe we can live forever
You and I we begin forever now
Forever now
I still believe in us together
You and I we’re here together now
Forever now
Forever now
Or never now

Everyday
A choice is made
Everyday
I choose my fate
And I wonder why
Would I wait till I die
to come alive?
to come alive
Everyday
Everyday
I still feel the same
I’m ready now
I’m not waiting for the afterlife
I’m ready now
I’m ready now
 I love that on the opening track, the band declares their life's goal of not waiting for the afterlife to begin living!  What a great thing to remember as this day begins, that TODAY, RIGHT NOW is the time to make up your mind about eternity.  Quit living your life as though you have the rest of your days to decide to make that choice.  Remember how precious every breath of this life really is, and the CHOOSE to live it to the fullest FOR GOD!

The other thought I had was that at this point in their career, Switchfoot has the attention of the world any time they release a recording.  As Christians who perform music, they could just make music that speaks to life, love, and daily struggles and just go soft on the personal decisions they have made to follow Jesus.  BUT THEY DIDN'T!  The album is blatantly full of their faith and I personally applaud that decision to speak boldly!

This is definitely a recording to add to your collection, but more than that, PRAY for Switchfoot as they tour, and pray that God will give them great influence as they speak during interviews.  Pray that their music will have great influence on our culture as people, Christ-followers & others, check out their sound and download such a positive message.

Oh yeah...one more thing I almost neglected to mention.  The music definitely ROCKS!

Check them out on iTunes:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/vice-verses/id450987801

No comments: