Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recently at Element Church the pastoral team and interns have been busy blogging their way through a reading schedule that we have challenged everyone at Element to read through.  Below is my second entry, but if you're interested, check out all of the great posts by our team here:  ELEMENT CHURCH BLOG
 
READ:  Exodus 9

Stupid, stupid, stupid…THAT’S what I think when I read this part of Exodus.  Beginning in Exodus 7 we see how patient God was, even with the continued disobedience of Pharaoh.  Ten times God showed his power over the elements, each time relenting when Pharaoh said he would release God’s people to go and worship in the wilderness.  However, when the “plague of the day” was lifted, Pharaoh would again harden his heart toward God and Israel, and the answer was always “no” to them leaving. 

What an ego this character, Pharaoh, must have had!  This guy was having Moses & Aaron showing up asking to let the people of Israel go to worship their God, and upon being told no, they instantly display a natural disaster.  I think that if I were Pharaoh, it would have not taken me ten different plagues to recognize God was upset!  Maybe once or twice, but seriously, by plague number four or five, I’m definitely crying “UNCLE!”  But, not this guy!  Pharaoh was a god…or so he thought.

As we find ourselves stuck in the middle of this showdown of epic proportions, I love the way God throws some commentary out to bring Pharaoh down to size:
Exodus 9:15-16
“By now I could have lifted my hand and struck you and your people with a plague to wipe you off the face of the earth.16 But I have spared you for a purpose—to show you my powers and to spread my fame throughout the earth.”
The only thing missing from this message from God in my estimation might be the phrase, “Go ahead, punk…make my day!”  God puts Pharaoh in his place by reminding him here exactly who is in charge.  He says, “Hey Pharaoh…you only live today because I LET you live.  You have decided to reject the easy way?  Fine.  Let’s do this the hard way.”  Pharaoh’s resistance to God’s plan will only serve to make God famous, as the surrounding nations hear what happens to the people of Egypt.  To make matters worse for Pharaoh and the Egyptians, it is notable to see that God spares the people of Israel from having to deal with the plagues.  The plagues take place everywhere except in the land of Goshen, where Israel resides.

What about Moses?  Can you imagine having to fill his shoes and deliver a scathing message from God to the most powerful ruler in the known world?  Pretty tough even for the bravest of us, but if you know anything about Moses, brave is not a word most would use to characterize him.  Moses was just an ordinary man thrust into extraordinary circumstances by the Almighty, but he too makes God famous in a whole other way!  Moses’ obedience to the Lord in these extreme circumstances is just what God uses to free His people from the tyrannical hand of Pharaoh. 

I want to make God famous, but not in the way that Pharaoh did!  Pharaoh could have experienced the blessing of God had he decided to bless the people of Israel and to let them go to worship.  Instead, God used his hardened heart to speak volumes to the surrounding nations, and to us today.  Instead, I think I’ll choose the road Moses took, and I will watch how He defends, promotes, and protects me as I lean into His direction. 

What about you?

Questions
1. How are you making God famous today?

2. Are there ways that you have been resisting the gentle leading of God’s voice?

3. What steps can you take to follow God’s direction for your life today?

No comments: