Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Movie Worth Seeing

To be honest with you, most movies that I have see that were produced by Christian companies have left me feeling as though they were pretty lame.  While I appreciate the efforts of the writers to put together a story that is compelling, as well as full of the hope of the Gospel, the movies usually come up pretty short  either in the storyline or the production value.  Therefore, most of them have been somewhat hard to really feel good about inviting friends to who don't already share my beliefs as a Christ-follower.

The movie I want to tell you about right now, however, breaks through that mold.  "Courageous", which opens nationwide in theaters this weekend, is a movie I intend on promoting as greatly as I am able.  Sure, there are a couple of moments where I wish the story was told differently, but overall the story is engaging, exciting, and a huge leap forward for movies with a Christ-centered message.  I saw the movie at an early screening, and everyone in the room had their eyes glued to the screen for the duration of the film.

Although the film sports a PG-13 rating, mainly for scenes of police violence, I had no issue at all having my 10 year-old & 16 year-old daughters attend the screening with me.  The violence was not graphic, and did seem that it was necessary to tell the story.  However it seemed no worse than many of the police dramas on network television.

Lastly, I want to encourage you to go because as most of the readers of my blog would agree, we need more quality, family-friendly films to choose from in the future.  Hollywood is listening to communities of faith, and the more that we continue to affirm their decision to produce and distribute family-friendly films like this, the more they will produce.


Check out the movie trailer below:




If you are interested in going to the movie this Sunday night, some people from Element Church will be going to the 7:30 PM showing at Lowe's AMC at the Waterfront on Sunday, October 2.  Let me know via email (richj@theelementchurch.com) if you're interested in joining us!

No comments: